- Created on Wednesday, 15 August 2012 03:25
- Last Updated on Thursday, 16 May 2013 07:51
- Written by David Rountree
Tiago Splitter has been underachieving since joining the San Antonio Spurs. He has shown glimpses of solid play but it hasn’t been enough to justify starting the former Spanish League MVP.
The NBA’s Western Conference has just gotten tougher with the arrival of Dwight Howard to the Lakers and the Spurs are going to need some size to weather the storm.
Last year in the playoffs the Spurs showed an inability to consistently guard the basket from penetration. They are simply too small of a team and could really use a consistent big-man to help Duncan guard the paint—Splitter was supposed to be that guy
It’s true that Splitter hasn’t played a lot of minutes (only 19 mins a game last season) but why can’t he earn minutes on such a small Spurs team?
- Splitter gets pushed around way too easily in the post and should work on holding his position. He just doesn’t have the mass to bang in the paint and because of this he tends to pick up early fouls.
- On offense he has the same issue and often can’t create his own shot, scoring most of his points on the pick-n-roll.
- Splitter is a player that seems to only play well if he makes his first couple baskets. If he makes any mistakes early he is useless for the rest of the game.
- He often looks defeated way before he even steps foot on the court and that’s probably why Coach Popovich hesitates to play him more minutes. When it comes to Splitter his game is either feast or famine.
- Splitters inconsistent jumper may also be part of the reason his minutes are so low; he just isn’t a threat from outside the paint. He has to be able to nail that 10-15 foot shot on a regular basis.
- His free throw shooting has been horrid at times but he still manages to keep it close to 70%, but he needs to get to the line more often. The Spurs need to start putting more pressure on opposing team’s big-men.
The Spurs will need Splitter to step up next season, because his height would really help protect the paint. Forward Boris Diaw will probably still get the starting position but hopefully Splitter can see his minutes on the floor increase to at least 25-30.
MVPTEXAS RT @nbagossip: Report: Dwight Howard Brought a Loaded Gun to the Airport: According to TMZ, Dwight Howard forgot that he had... http://t.c…
MVPTEXAS RT @ThemCowboysRR: Dallas Cowboys News: 4 Players Who Need To Impress Before The 2015 Season Opener http://t.co/x5em2N95dm http://t.co/KdFg…
MVPTEXAS RT @MavsNationNet: JJ Barea put up 20 points, 10 assists for Puerto Rico yesterday vs. Argentina in #FIBAAmericas2015 http://t.co/a8VeUL65Dp