- Created on Tuesday, 25 September 2012 02:00
- Last Updated on Thursday, 16 May 2013 07:51
- Written by David Rountree
Tony Parker is considered by many to be the best player on the San Antonio Spurs. He is their top scorer and floor general, as he goes the rest of the team goes.
The team will be counting on Parker to have another extraordinary season; in fact they will need for him to improve if they will have a shot at the NBA championship.
Parker has been spectacular on the offensive end, scoring and distributing at a high level, but what else can he do to help this team?
- It’s time for Parker to revisit this aspect of his game; because of low attempts he shot an abysmal 23% in the regular season. For years he abandoned this shot to focus on mastering his mid-range scoring, but now it is time for him to make defenders pay beyond the arc.
- The move will not only stretch the floor more for his fellow teammates it will also give him even more opportunities to blow by defenders, increasing his already potent speed.
- Parker is the best mid-range shooter on the entire team, one of the top in the NBA among point guards, there is no reason his percentage should be below 80% (shot around 79%). His shooting stroke is healthy enough for him to reach numbers in the upper 80’s.
- Improved free-throw shooting would also add to his scoring in the fourth quarter of games and as a whole. He averaged a healthy 18 ppg but it could be easily above 20 with a better showing at the line.
Scoring on long defenders
- Opposing teams have seemingly given up on guarding Parker with another point guard, now they just use an athletic shooting guard to disrupt his flow. This concept was notably used by the Oklahoma City Thunder with guard Thabo Sefolosha, a move that gave Parker fits in the Western Conference Finals.
- Coach Popovich should have Kawhi Leonard guard Parker frequently in the upcoming training camp session; this may help cure some of his woes with larger defenders.
MVPTEXAS RT @astros_fanly: Spring Training GameThread No.25: Houston Astros vs. Minnesota Twins #HustleTown https://t.co/DxlUEexktz https://t.co/IU…
MVPTEXAS RT @zesty_cowboys: Phillips: 3 Things We’ve Learned About The Cowboys Since New League Year Began https://t.co/3jegrhRjtR https://t.co/EsLa…
MVPTEXAS RT @UHCougarBB: FINAL | Houston 16, Texas Southern 3 ... Coogs have won seven straight .. now 15-5 on the year. #M64 https://t.co/czcFqtw6Sq