- Created on Monday, 15 October 2012 15:26
- Last Updated on Thursday, 16 May 2013 07:51
- Written by David Rountree
The San Antonio Spurs are in the mist of the pre-season, gearing up for another run at that allusive fifth title. Once again, they are boasting a balanced roster but with a glaring absence of scoring big men. Boris Diaw (whether he realizes it or not) has a great opportunity to be more than a bench player on this team. Can he fill the void at the center position this team has had for almost a decade?
* Diaw has the ability to create his own offense in the post; he is very skilled and can finish at the basket with both hands. He can also stretch the floor with his consistent outside jumper and three-point range.
* He has also proven to be a very crafty passer and can fill the stat sheet up with assists. The Spurs’ offense thrives off of assists and this increases his chances of being a starter.
* His 6-9 frame and long arms gives the Spurs the size they desperately need, but if he wants to start on this team his defensive stats have to rise. He has the length and athletic ability to at least average one block per game.
* Diaw’s rebounding ability has been solid since joining the Spurs. If he can play starter minutes his numbers could easily reach double digits. Rebounding is something that the Spurs need desperately from someone other than Tim Duncan.
Lack of Competition
* The truth is the San Antonio Spurs are a deep team only in the back court; their frontcourt leaves much to be desired. They have solid bench players like Dejuan Blair and Tiago Splitter but no one with a starter’s mentality. Diaw is by the far the most skilled and offensively gifted big man (outside of Duncan) on the team.
* Diaw still has to show a level of intensity and preparation on court to earn starter minutes though, Coach Popovich does not award minutes on potential alone.
MVPTEXAS RT @dmn_cowboys: .@CandidlyCowboys: How Dak Prescott already understands the gravity of being a franchise QB, where he can improve https://…
MVPTEXAS RT @TheCowboysZone: Would Redskins really target Cowboys QB Tony Romo in free agency? https://t.co/IU76jw0wfQ
MVPTEXAS RT @Astrosblogger12: Marisnick puts in extra time refining swing #astros #bhive https://t.co/muAGtMvNH3